Friday, April 23, 2010

Fundraising Beginnings

I figured asking for money would be awkward, uncomfortable, and full of many blank responses, or responses such as "why would you do such a thing?"

But it hasn't been that way at all. I sent out quite a few mailings with a flyer (that is really pretty, and once I figure out how I'll show you what it looks like), and a letter explaining what I'm doing. The main purpose of me sending these flyers/letters wasn't to ask for money, I feel like that will come, but to spread the word about what this little group of young people is doing. I think YAV years, and other organizations/opportunities like it are pretty neat, but also like hidden gems. So now there are a good amount of people that know just a little more about my story about becoming a Young Adult Volunteer. Also, I have been completely floored as to the response. I've gotten so many texts, emails, phone calls, etc. asking for more details, saying they'll be thinking of me, and telling me about the donations they want to make!
I do think that in the letter, even after my five times reviewing it, I forgot to say what to do with the pledge form. Oops. Even with that not being on there, people are still going out of their way to figure out the details, and to support me! Also- if you're reading this thinking "man, I really thought Stevie would want me to know more about this, but I didn't get a flyer" just send me your address! I'll be sending another mailing out soon.


On another note... today marks FOUR MONTHS until we leave for NY for orientation. This is so exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment